Sunday, May 31, 2009

Article: Is This The Next Iphone?

This week an article about a new smart phone coming out was very interesting. In today’s technological world, we are able to do so many things from our cell phones. The wireless internet capabilities, navigations, endless iphone applications and great cameras all combine to offer very powerful tools. Rumors have it that the new iphone will have Apple or Mac OS 3.0 and many new touch screen capabilities. A new autofocus function along with a compass offer more functions to the already amazing iphone.
I personally do not have an iphone. I looked into a while back as I am a member of AT&T wireless. Yet I was not eligible for an upgrade so the phone itself would costs over $300 for the smaller hard drive. I think that this is a bit ridiculous. If I am a member I should be able to switch phones within AT&T at any time. The other factors affecting my decision not to get an iphone are necessity and cost.
I have a razor and am pleased with it, the reception is good, and the phone is fine aesthetically. I do not need the internet on my phone or an endless barrage of apps. I think it is a bit excessive. I only have a $50 or so monthly payment as of now. The minimum increase would be to $75 a month I believe. The cost of the phone, combined with a higher monthly bill, and excessive luxuries which are not needed all combined together are more than enough to keep me from the iphone.
Undoubtedly I will inevitable give in and purchase a smart phone, most likely some new edition of the iphone. The time I do so, I will likely need it for work or some other function and will not worry about the monthly bill. I do find it amazing however how much power we have at our fingertips with these brand new technologies. Mobile computing and communication has changed so much over the past years and will continue to do so as the market is huge and still growing in certain areas of the world. The future should be exciting….

Sources: Suarez, Paul. (2009). Is This The Next Iphone? PC World.

1 comment: